A module that has multiple functions, VCO/VCLFO (1v octave), sequencer, clock divider, swing..
The 4Swing refers to "for swing" and it has 4 steps. The module can do quite a bit of different things. It can be a clock divider, VCO, VCLFO, sequencer with swing or without.
I developed it because it wanted a DIY version of the Doepfer A-147, a module I use allot. But then in combination with a simple sequencer/clock divider, basically a setup i use almost always but then in one module, a bit like this module i used to use allot. The Motor Bin module uses a binary clock divider, but the 4Swing uses a 4017 (decade counter/step sequencer), so it's a bit different. The reason for this is that i wanted swing (i used to use Groove allot in LSDj, i think it would be great to have more swing in my eurorack) and you cannot have swing with a binary clock divider.. i think.
Features were added based on things I found on youtube, and other sources. For instance the Swing was partially inspired by a video by Collin Benders.
The individual outputs of 4017 step sequencer was inspired by DAS DING baby 8.
The AND GATE + 4017 trick i got from Peter Edwards sequencer.
The 1v per octave tracking VCO was smth I learned from Moritz Kleins video about it in combination with a VCO I found by Kassu on electro-music forums.
- 4Swing1a: Gate reset input is reset. (This is the most standart version, how i originaly designed it)
- 4Swing1b: Two different modes that can be set with the BLACK Rate button.
- High frequency mode: Gate reset input is reset.
- Low frequency mode: Gate reset input is ignored, instead it will hold the sequencer for the duration of the gate signal. (i added this feature because i never use reset in low frequency and the hold feature is verry nice).
- 4Swing1c: Same as 4Swing1a but with expander module.
- 2 Extra main clock outputs, if which one has a attenuation potmeter.
- 1 Gate hold input for the sequencer steps.
- 1 LPG.
- 4Swing module width: 5cm (10hp), power consumption: +18mA -5mA.
- 4Swing expander width: 2cm (4hp), power consumption: +2mA -0mA.
- Depths of module and expander about 2.5cm with power cable connected.
Clock input: Replaces the internal VCO as clock source for the sequencer.
The VCO will still function at the same time, but will be just disconnected from advancing the sequencer.
Clock output: Active steps of the sequencer, voltage level can be set with a 2mm flat head screw driver, the output signal is + voltage and - voltage, between about 0v and the 22v peak to peak. It focuses more on the positive voltage then the negative.
CV output: The voltage at the current step of the sequencer, 0 to +10v.
CV input: -12v to +12v, Controls VCO that drives the sequencer, if tuned can track 1v octave over around 5 octaves.
There is a tune multiturn trimmer potmeter to tune the 1v per octave tracking, it is located left under the reset input.
Reset: Resets the sequencer and the VCO. (see Versions for the difference per versions).
1,2,3,4: Individual gate outputs of the step sequencer, 0 to +10v.
Start: Start or stop the VCO.
Step: Hold the sequencer or make it step forward.
3/4/2: Sequencer length.
Rate: VCLFO or VCO. Low frequency rate or Audio rate.